Please note: there are small speaking parts as well as the ensemble members who may play multiple roles.
The following is the principle character descriptions and our link to audition materials
Deloris van Cartier
- A feisty, strong-willed, larger than life character. Curtis’ bit on the side. Brought up a Catholic and taught by nuns, she has rebelled against her upbringing. She has dreams of becoming the next big singing sensation, which Curtis keeps promising to make happen for her, but never will. She eventually finds what she has been seeking where she least expects it.
- This is usually an African-American character but it could be played a Hispanic or Caucasian Bronx instead.
- Age Range: 20-4
- Take me to heaven (bb19-61)
- Fabulous Baby (bb97-end)
- Dialogue: pages 3-7, 15-18, 20-24
- Haughty, well spoken, stickler for rules and routine with a tough exterior, but she is not so confident when alone with God. We see a softer side to her by the end of the show.
- She really doesn’t want Deloris in her convent.
- Age Range: 30-70
- Here within these walls (bb1-40)
- I haven’t got a prayer (bb92-end)
- Dialogue: pages 20-24 & 72-74
Sister Mary Robert
- A small, postulant nun. Very timid and quiet, until she eventually finds her ‘voice’. She hasn’t chosen to be a nun; she is only there because she knows nothing else.
- Mezzo/soprano with belt
- Age Range: 16 –25
- The life I never led (bb186-end)
- Raise your voice (bb161-165)
- Dialogue: page 97-100 (including song The Life I Never Led)
Sister Mary Patrick
- Choir mistress who gets moved aside. Bit of a grump! Nothing fazes her, she takes everything in her stride, even rapping!
- Age Range: mid 50s+
- Sunday Morning Fever (bb119-131 AND bb166-187)
- A friendly, good natured gentleman. Always bright and positive, even though his parish is almost non-existent and faces closure. He loves the change that Deloris brings to his church.
- Age Range: mid 40s+
- Sunday Morning Fever (bb166-187)
- Confident, chilled out, gangster. He is always in control of the people around him, his actions and any situation he finds himself in. He is untouchable, or so he thinks.
- High baritone
- Age range 20-45
- When I find my baby (bb8-43 AND bb100-end)
- Dialogue pages 3-6 & 11-12
- He is a sweet nervous policeman who dreams of being confident and brave. Good vocals and movement are required.
- Age range 20-35
- I could be that guy (bb39-55 and bb79-84)
- Dialogue: pages 15-18
- Youngest of Curtis’ henchman and his nephew, which is the only reason he has the job! He is naive, daft and childlike and easily manipulated. Finds humor in everything he can.
- Age Range: 20+
- Lady in the long black dress (bb33-49)
- Curtis’ head henchman. Does what he is told without question. Thinks he is a cool ladies’ man, but he really isn’t.
- Age Range: 30+
- Lady in the long black dress (bb9-25)
- Curtis’ Hispanic henchman. He is quiet, moody and the toughest of the gangsters. Most of his dialogue is in Spanish. He is a slick smooth dude, but slow!
- Age Range: 30+
- Lady in the long black dress (bb60-67)
Tina and Michelle
- Nightclub backing singers. Good time girls, been around the block a few times
- Age Range: 20-35
- Take me to heaven (bb54-66 and bb80-84)